Monday, May 24, 2010

Stuff I do while I convalesce

I've been reading some.  After reading "East of Eden," by John Steinbeck for a book club, I decided to skip the next book that was chosen because it was too "non-fictiony" for me right now. Not that I don't like non-fiction, mind you. I just wasn't in the mood for this one and the kind of divisive conversations the last book we read like this brought out. Someone suggested I might like this one("The Passion of Mary Magdalene" by Elizabeth Cunningham) so I'm about half way into it.  I can't really call it great literature but it's a decent story.  If you got all hot and offended by Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" then I would tell you to steer clear of it.  Actually the exCatholic in me is a little squeamish myself.  But I read the Da Vinci Code, it gave me a lot to think about as I have an  open mind but things are put in the "fiction" section for a reason so there's no reason in my opinion to get all 'fire and brimstone' over a book.  If one has a strong faith what is there to freak out about?  Fear?  My faith urges me to question but I won;t get into that here as this book is not the sort of book that would conjure up a discussion about faith.  It's just a story.  It's not very well written I don't think.  But it's an easy read and after the past couple weeks I've had, I needed an easy read.  If you think I'm a heathen for reading it then you need to look under your own beds for the boogieman......


Oh I watched the "Lost" series finale.  Yeah I was "one of those."  Give or take a few episodes because I didn't have a DVR back then, I've been watching since the pilot.  I love "Lost."  It was a bit of a kiddie rollercoaster the past couple seasons.  I say kiddie rollercoaster because I don't want you to think it was all that emotional for me, even when I was irritated with the characters/writing, I still loved the show.  I was just always left thinking,"What???!! Oh what the hell now??!" And it started to get on my nerves.  I could even be caught telling my sister how ridiculous things were getting.  I was actually thinking it was a good idea to end it because of how ridiculous it was getting.  Because I was expecting all the i's to be dotted and all the t's crossed so I looked forward to some answers finally dammit!  And I didn't get any answers.  But I may be the only one who really liked the final show.  Because I don't care about the "answers" I cared about the characters.  And this show gave me closure.  Does that make sense?  The only other series finale that did that for me was "Six Feet Under."  Remember that show?  Best finale ever in my opinion.  So I can honestly say that I loved the "Lost"  finale. I truly did.    It took me a few hours to realize that I loved it though.  I still hate the "Soprano's" ending I don't care what anyone says.   Anyway, yeah.  "Lost" is over we can all go back to our lives....


I've also been working on this drawing.  Two happy kool aid colored hibiscus flowers I happened upon while laying by the pool last year.  I took a photo thus resulting in a color pencil drawing.

I took this with my cell so excuse the bad lighting but as of this post I have one petal left to do before filling in the leaves and background.  If you look closely, you'll see that I wasn't able to erase my pencil outline.  My eraser sucks.  I'm trying to get a "collection" together so that I can start showing and maybe selling(although that would be hard, I have a hard time parting with my work) some of my stuff.  It's just a thought, I'll keep you guys posted on how that turns out.
Posted by Picasa


Also even though I've been living like an indoor cat again I have been making a point to walk to the beach as much as I can when the day heat starts to subside and the sea breeze  actually feels like a sea breeze.  I took a couple pictures with my cell because the clouds rising were so pretty and I've been depressed about that effing oil spill.  I pray for Louisiana and the Gulf Coast to get through this as quickly as possible.  And I beg that this doesn't happen to my beloved beach.  I won't know what to do with myself if this beautiful picture turns into an ocean of greasy brownblack sludge and dead animals.  NO I do know what I would do.  I would put some boots on and help clean, broken heart and all.  But I'm praying for the protection of this place, I really am.  Look at it, how could I not?










5 comments:

justme said...

i just got done with six feet under about a month ago. everyone was waiting for me to finish it...it was amazing. truly. i watched the first season of lost, then started watching the second, but then kind of lost interest. i'm thinking of watching the whole thing, but then this lady told me the ending today, which is funny because i had thought, "wouldn't that be clever if...." and i guessed it.

Pea said...

Six Feet Under was so good. You know a show/book/movie is good when you find yourself wondering about the characters after it's over. It comes on in reruns and I find myself watching once in a while.
**SPOILER**(people who haven't seen the Lost finale skip the rest)
I, too got a little irritated with "Lost" when it started to get too SciFi for my tastes but I couldn't bring myself to stop watching. I thought that whole parallel story not really being parallel but actually a future after everyone's really dead was kind of lazy writing but I did like it.I guess I'm a sucker for sappy happy endings. Now that you know the ending do you think you'll want to finish?

justme said...

i think i'll still finish. it had enough lure for me to keep watching, i just think things got too busy and i stopped. i almost think that the ending makes me want to see it more.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love your hibiscus painting, and the beach photos are breathtaking, too.

I read a novel recently that I loved - "Hot House Flower and the 9 Plants of Desire" by Margot Berwin. It's a little Carlos Castaneda meets "The Orchid Thief" (Susan Orlean) and yet quite original. As a book AND plant lover, I adored it. I also just finished "Hidden Buddhas" by Liza Dalby, which was wonderful as I have a strong interest in ancient Japanese culture.

So glad you're feeling better, Pea.

Pea said...

Thanks for the book suggestions Susan- I've read 2 of Liza Dalby's books before and I loved both so I'll definitely check this one out. I too have a lot of awe and respect for ancient Japanese culture myself-actually my oldest and dearest childhood bff is part Japanese and lived there for a few years. The others I have't read, but I'm glad to add them to my book list. Someone recently told me about a book called,"Little Bee," and I've been waiting for it-I requested it from the library.

Glad you liked the flowers-it is actually colored pencils. I recently discovered two new(not new but new for me) ways to "blend" the colors that result in an almost watercolor quality.