Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pet Peeves

I didn't sleep last night so I'm not in the best of moods today.  So today's posts are list of a few things I loathe.

-Animal print and Pointy toed shoes.  yeah yeah I've posted this before but the repetition should be a sign of my loathing.  No offense to all you folks who love them.  I just think animal print either ages a woman or makes her look desperate if it's not done right.  And I don't have enough time on the Earth left to list all the reasons why I hate pointy toed shoes.

-Finding plastic on the beach but I've already told you guys about that.

-When people pronounce Florida as if it's spelled "Flahr-duh."  I'm not sure why but it just drives me insane.

-When people make comments about how wild my dog is.  Stuff like, " You should train him."  No you should just not come over to my house, he lives here-you don't.

-When sales people try to help me.  I know this sounds odd, we all need help when we shop don't we?  I'm not talking about opening the fitting room door for me and getting the correct size.  I'm talking about the ones who know I'm going to buy stuff, so they try to maximize by making suggestions. For example, MrPea recently bought me a new pair of sunglasses for our anniversary and I was in the store trying a bunch on and the saleslady kept trying to make me try on a bunch of stuff that I hated because we have different taste.  She's just being helpful but I don't trust other people's tastes because I hate trendy things.  I always have to tell them to stop because I will automatically hate anything they show me.


-My neighbor(s).  They seem like nice people, but they are the loudest mf's I have ever had the misfortune to live next to.  I had to go over there(as non-confrontational as I am) last Friday night because she was having a loud party and there were people hanging out on my porch smoking and drinking.  I decided to forgive her because she was really apologetic until the next morning when I woke up to find PUKE on the common stairway. Yeah.  She's in the I hate you club. I'll have to post this story one day when I'm feeling more humorous over it.

-People who scoff when I complain about the cold in the winter.  Usually it's because said person comes from a colder climate and thinks no one else has the right to be cold because it's colder somewhere else.  It's not the Olympics of who has a worse winter it's just me saying I'm cold.




-Sorry New Yorkers but I might piss some of you off because I have to say this:  when people from New York move here(cuz you all know they end up in Florida one day) and every conversation starts or ends with,"Well, in New York it's done this way" or "That doesn't happen in New York,"  Or  "If this was New York...", or "I've never seen anything like this in New York"   Etc. It's always said in that nose turned up tone that they think we Floridians don't understand.  Not everyone does this but the ones who do have no idea how rude this is in any region.  We get it ok?!  You guys love New York!  New York is your standard.  But guess what, there are some of who don't give a flying f*ck how the perfect people in the perfect city of New York or Cairo or Timbuktu or anywhere else do everything better than everyone else.  If it's all so wonderful there, why are so many people moving here where everything is so awful and we Southerners are so slow and stupid?  exactly.  I promise you, I love Florida and I love Hawaii. I could live and die in either of these places, never see New York or any major city and have no regrets over it.   But I don't go around telling everyone how everyone else in Florida and Hawaii "do" everything.   Because I was raised to be polite.  This doesn't mean I don't heart NY, I heart NY very much, I just think it's obnoxious behavior. No one else does this in my experience.  I've met people who move here from all parts of the country and not one has started out a conversation with me by saying, "I'm from Vermont so naturally I'm not used to seeing all the blah blah blah that you guys here must be used to"  or "Oh well, in Arkansas we don't let our kids blah blah blah because we have higher standards than you all"


yeah I'm in a bad mood.  I was confronted with this last night for the billionth time.


 For the record my loud, rude, trashy neighbor is from Tennessee.  So my wrath today is evenly spread around.  Feel free to disagree and  add your own pet peeves.  It might make me feel better.

5 comments:

justme said...

oooh, now i want to vent. i may have to steal the pet peeves idea! neighbors are the worst....i thought it would be better in a house in the country...but it's not.

Pea said...

Please do steal...Oh but don't ruin my fantasy of moving to the country. NO! Don't tell me it's not quiet and beautiful and peaceful like I always dream it to be. damn. well the beach isn't always so peaceful either.

super des said...

To be honest, I do the "in NY" thing. But I do it with everywhere I've lived. What can I say, places in the country are different. I don't say if one is better or worse though.

Pea said...

I'm not talking about making comparisons though, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm talking about snobs really. I love hearing about places people have been and experiences in other places. I'm just sick of the snide comments from people who think they are better than everyone else because of where they come from. I think people feel comfortable with me enough to show me that part of themselves because they see me as an outsider, thus "one of them." And I am NOT.

SUEB0B said...

I was at the Chico's outlet the other day. I KNOW Chico's is clothing for a woman of a certain age, which is why I shop there. Half the clothing had animal prints! No, I don't want to look like a stereotype cougar...but maybe that's why it ended up at the outlet. Nobody wants to wear it.