Thursday, May 6, 2010

About Me! Me! Me! Me!

I am:

-33 years old, born July 21, 1976. Made a promise to myself never to  lie about my age. At this point it's too early for it anyway but I will hold true to that promise.

-half Filipina and half West Virginian, residing in Florida!  So that makes me both an island and country girl. It's all Yin and Yang, I long for the country but can't tear myself away from the ocean. If this is the worst of my problems, don't feel sorry for me. BUT if I hear that song by John Denver about West Virginia, it never fails, I will start crying.  I really will.

-madly in love with a tall, dark and handsome French Canadian surfer. We've been married 13 years.  I'm pretty sure most people think we're obnoxiously attached at the hip but hey, like I care.

-also madly in love with a 21 pound British Jack Russel Terrier from New Orleans. He's 12 but he's still got it.  He's also the bossiest, sneakiest,  little dog I've ever known.

-a collector of shoes.  Oh you wanna tell some Imelda Marcos jokes?  Yeah I've heard them all and it's not funny.

-an expert finding shark teeth.  Proof to come.

-scared to death of sharks since I am constantly finding their teeth.  'nuff said.

-a flaming Liberal.  Unapologetic about it to boot.  BUT Conservative is not a bad word in my house either.  I'm Blue in a Red state, what can I say?

-a Bible reading Christian.  Not a "Bible thumping"one.  Not a "Bible shoving in your face" one.  A Bible reading one.  Spirituality is very important to me but's also very personal to me.  I don't feel the need to go around proselytizing in everyone's face, in fact I believe that does more harm than good. People need to feel free to pursue(or not) their own beliefs without others screaming in their faces and so do I.  If that sounds judgmental then I guess I'm also judgmental. oops. Again no apologies.

-an artiste.  I paint. I draw. I sculpt. When I can figure out how to copyright my stuff, I'll post a few things.

-the youngest of 4 siblings.  This probably means I have "baby of the family issues".  Probably. Ok I do.

-a military brat.  I am the daughter and granddaughter of Navy veterans.  Grew up on base. So this means I have never said, "Hiya Sailor! Buy me a drink?" Because that would feel creepy.

-Bilingual.  Sort of.  I took two years of French in high school, married a man who's first language is French and who's family speaks no English so I've had plenty of practice.  Let's just put it this way, I could live in a French speaking country and be just fine but people would think I had really bad grammar.  But I have that in English too, anyway.

- 4'11" and happy about it.  Did I mention that?  You guys already knew but I had to say it.


-an avid reader and member of a really good Book Club.  We just finished a book by Steinbeck as of this blogpost date and it utterly broke my heart. In a good way.  But Steinbeck does that, doesn't he?

-fiercely loyal when it comes to those I love.  I might be small but dammit fear me if I find out someone I care about has been hurt in some way.

-a total dork in social situations.  But ask me if I care.  Well ok, I do sometimes.

-a total geek when it comes to certain things.  Like shark teeth, for example.  More topics to geek out to on the way.

-not someone who buys into Hollywood or Madison Ave's idea of beauty. A healthy, rosy cheeked person who is genuinely happy is way more beautiful than those FemmeBots they keep shoving down all our throats. I can find just as many beautiful people walking around my neighborhood as I see on tv.


-lazy about checking my spelling and as mentioned in my  intro  use bad grammar. oh well.



-Finally comfortable putting myself first once in a while.  Took me 30 years and getting sick to figure that out.

-cancer free as of last year.  Thyroid cancer for anyone new. blah blah blah People here are probably sick of hearing about it and so am I so I'll leave it that.  It's over, Thank God and I've moved on.

4 comments:

super des said...

and you're also totally super awesome!

Mary said...

I loved that you wrote all this, because I started on your old blog late in the game and don't know if I ever fully knew what kind of cancer you'd had. My sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last August, and then two other sisters and a niece had thyroid cancer scares since - all turned out benign.

My sister in law is Filipina, and my younger sister married a guy whose parents were born in the Phillipines.

I loved what you said about "Bible reading" instead of "Bible thumping." I may steal that line.

madge said...

ahhh, i love a good me! me! me! me! nice to learn new things about you! :)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm so happy to have read this, even though I knew some of it already, because it tells me what is important to YOU.

I totally agree about proselytizing any religion or belief system, and about the Hollywood "beauty" ideal which is nothing but artificial and turns women into caricatures. Being Filipina means that you are automatically gorgeous - I have never known a woman OR man from there who was not.

Steinbeck is one of my lifelong favorites, too.

My niece had thyroid cancer several years ago and went on to have a delightful son who is now nearly 5, and her health is perfect. So I am sure that yours will continue to be, too, because nothing else is acceptable.