Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dead things and Shark teeth *warning* this post is not for the faint of heart

This weekend was wonderful.....I spent most of it at the beach.  I encountered a few little dead friends.  Of course for the sake of this blog and for myself I took photos.








DEAD JELLYFISH.  I'm not exactly sure what species this is, I'll look it up later but since I seem to collect pictures of dead jellyfish I couldn't break with tradition.


Posted by Picasa


I tried in vain to help this funny looking bug out but he must have had a lot of salt water in his little brain because he kept crawling towards the water and unfortunately died.  Rest in Peace little buddy.






I found this crab shell and thought the color and design was rather pretty.








It even matched my nail polish but that's not why I included my finger.  I wanted to remember how small it was so I could look it up in my field guide later.  I was too lazy to do it before writing this post so you'll have to just go on with your life not knowing.





This dead sea turtle just broke my heart.  The spray paint on it indicates that the Florida Fish and Wildlife had been alerted and that they "investigated".  They were probably alerted by the local sea turtle patrol, an organization I love with all my heart.  I adore sea turtles.  There's just something magical about them so seeing this dead one really bothered me.  I stood there for along time just hoping that this poor beautiful animal died of old age and not from eating plastic.



And last but not least I came upon this baby Hammerhead shark.  Well actually I made friends with some random dogs who found it.  What a beauty!  Mr.Pea was nice enough to pick it up and examine it for me so that I could take pictures.  




We made sure it was actually dead, mind you, before I started taking pictures.  Otherwise he would have put it back into the water.  I would never harass an animal for my own photographic library.  I don't believe in that.








But look how beautiful it was.  I wish it had grown into an adult shark and had a thousand babies.  I really do.
We couldn't figure out how it died.  It didn't have any marks of attack on it.  I think it ate something toxic.  LIKE PLASTIC OR TOXINS THAT PEOPLE POLLUTE THE OCEAN WITH BUT DON'T GET ME STARTED....
Hopefully this little shark became food for some other animal.  Oh shark, I'm sorry your life ended so soon.  Too soon for me to find all your missing teeth.  But.....

... of course no day at the beach is complete for me without at least a few shark teeth.
Now do ya'll understand that I am absolutely afraid of sharks?  I love them, but, I try not to venture into their home for longer than I have to.


*BTW I'm still tweaking things over here so bear with all my changes for a few more days until I can get everything the way I like it.

6 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm so glad you're back at your wonderful beach, which from the thickness of the shell carpet, looks a lot like Sanibel. Are you on the West Coast?

The shark is beautiful. I feel the same way about animals, and regularly find dead Pacific Harbor Seals on the beach. It enrages me that we are killing all these wonderful creatures out of greed and indifference.

Pea said...

I wish I lived on Sanibel....

super des said...

poor little turtle :(

I love living vicarously on your beach!

Pea said...

I know you do Des! Hopefully that turtle left behind a gazillion babies in it's life time.

justme said...

awww, that turtle breaks my heart. when i was in hawaii snorkeling, i had one follow me around the whole time i was in the water. it thought my hair was something to eat. it was so cute.

Pea said...

they like jellyfish, probably thought your hair was a jellyfish...